Sunday, May 17, 2009

Once Upon A Time...


May 17th, 1977 is a long time ago... but still a part of life that can never be forgotten. Our little Courtney Susanne was born. Although she only lived 10 days, she was loved no less than any of our other children. She weighed 8lbs 4oz. and seemed to be a beautiful bouncing baby...until one of the night nurses in the hospital detected her coloring as " a little dusky" bluish in color. She was flown to Phoenix the next morning, her dad and I made the trip by pick up truck..calling in a phone booth at Globe to see if she arrived at Good Samaritan in Phx. alright...she had. The next 9 days were long... and yet glorious as I look back. When you have a sick child, each day is as if you have been thru an entire year! She nursed heartily and seemed to be thriving as well as she could... but she needed micro heart surgery we were informed on her 9th day... we were blessed to be able to embrace her, tell her of our love for her, kiss her goodbye as she was wheeled off in that little bassinet to surgery... after an eternity of about 5 hours...we were told she didn't make it through. A piece of my heart died that day along with the "sweetness in our lives" We learned alot about joy, sadness, miracles and letting go. I will never forget the closeness I felt of that sweet warm cuddly baby clinging onto life for only a few days. She passed her test! It broke our hearts to let her go...but oh the joy of knowing what we know... and the blessing of seeing her again one day. The picture above is not Courtney as I have none...but she was remembered has being such a beautiful baby.

4 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

:( Love you guys....you have been through so much. I wish I could see a picture of her, Im sure she was just beautiful :(

Wyatts said...

That was a beautiful post. It made me cry. I can't wait to live with her again and get to know her.

Turleygirl said...

Well, that was a tear jerker. She was absolutely beautiful, still remember.

Tamra and Jim said...

I bet she is very beautiful, as your other daughters and grandaughters are! What a sweet post and sweet memories. So thankful you will get to cuddle her again one day.